Wednesday, November 21, 2007

There Aren't A Lot of Food-Related Songs in My iTunes Library

We're driving up to Philadelphia for Thanksgiving tomorrow (at the crack of dawn,) and I thought I'd make a CD for the trip. I usually catch "Alice's Restaurant" on the radio when I'm driving around on Thanksgiving, so that's become something of a tradition for me, so I wanted to have the song at the ready, rather than hope that I'd happen to catch it on the radio during the trip.

I figured I'd add some more food or meal-related songs to the CD, since I'd have about an hour of CD left after "Alice's Restaurant" came to an end, but I came up short on actually finding anything of that nature. The best I could find was "Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner" by Kermit Ruffins, and I had to borrow PrettyGirl's New Orleans Playground CD to get even that.

Songs that could have made the cut but didn't, because I didn't think the audience in the car would particularly care for them, include:

"Punk Rock Girl" by The Dead Milkmen, which makes numerous references to pizza places (Zipperhead is a pizza place in Philly, if I remember correctly,) coffee shops, and Sunday meals.

"I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow. Actually, that one got cut because candy isn't really a mealtime kinda food. I think M and my dad would have liked that one.

"They All Ask'd For You" by The Meters, also from the New Orleans Playground CD. There's mention of etouffe and gumbo and such, but it's mostly about zoo animals and angels asking after the person that is being sung to, so that was a bit of a stretch.

And that's about it.

I probably didn't get some of that New Orleans info right, but it's late, and I have to get up really, really early tomorrow morning, so I don't have time for fact checking.

No comments: