Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Cover: Almost Blown

You'll be happy to know that PrettyGirl is already getting much better! She's still a bit wheezy, but she's got more energy now. She's very excited about the cool new noises her voice can make with all the gunk in her chest. She was all a-jabber this morning. She was doing Mommie's headache no favors.

********************
I mentioned the extra hotel key we were given in DC and then forgot to mention the one particularly interesting thing that happened with it.

So we went back to M's cousin's hotel to change and feed PG before heading home. We got to the hotel room to find that the cleaning lady was in there. She had just started in there, but she was happy to leave and come back at a better time. As she was leaving, she asked that we stick our keycard in the door slot. She didn't say so, but I knew that she wanted to make sure that it really was our room. Which, of course, it wasn't, technically speaking. Of course, M's cousin had taken the stroller back to the room when she left us at the museum (no strollers allowed, y'see, and a dang good thing, considering how tight a lot of the museum was,) so it was obvious that the room belonged to people with a baby, but the lady had to ask, I guess.

So I put the keycard in the door, and it didn't work. I tried it one way, then another, then flipped it and tried again. No green light.

Though my mind did not actually go back to my very recent visit to the International Spy Museum, for the sake of the narrative, I'm gonna say it did. In the first room of the museum, we were asked to select a cover identity. There were placards on the walls of many such identities that gave details such as name, country of birth, destination, how long we'd be at that destination and why, that sort of thing. One of the interactive kiosks further along put us in a situation wherein a security guard grills us on the details that we had, hopefully, memorized. It consisted of multiple choice questions, but it had still been a lot to remember, and if you answered any wrong, the Suspicion Meter would start moving out of the green and into the red.

I could sense the maid's Suspicion Meter becoming less green.

Luckily, someone else took the card from me - I don't remember who, either M or the maid (I seriously doubt it was PG, but she does tend to grab at things now, so who knows) - and tried it in the door themselves. For whatever reason, it worked that time, and the maid left us in peace. I later realized that I had put the keycard, with its magnetic strip, in the same shirt pocket as my glasses' sunglass extension, with its magnetic glasses-grabbing nubs. It's possible that I had messed up the keycard strip a little, and it took just the right angle to get it to work. It's a mystery for the ages, I guess.

Incidentally, the security guard in the game ended up being a bit too suspicious of my cover ID. I think I messed up the part about whether or not I was renting a car while in Budapest.

No comments: