Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It's Still That Same Old Back Beat Rhythm That Really Really Drives 'Em Wild

I've been putting together some CDs off of iTunes for our upcoming trek through Ohio, Iowa and points in between. I've been trying to pick songs that will be reasonably mild on PG's delicate ears, and I'm finding that picking songs that keep the drums somewhat on the down-low are good choices.

Thing is, it seems that sometime during the 70s someone decided that turning up the volume on the drum track was a good idea. So it's a little hard finding stuff from pretty much my lifetime that doesn't pound on your ears. Even Lisa Loeb, with her touchy-feely stuff, has someone banging on the drums. Meanwhile, you don't really notice the drums in the stuff from the 50s and 60s. It's just there, setting the mood, without shaking your eardrums.

Seriously... Lisa Loeb?

Update: Turns out my iTunes settings pump up the bass and drums more than the car CD player does, so that explains a few things. I still stand by my observation that, in at least one Lisa Loeb song, the drum track is as loud as the singing track. Ditto for Mary Chapin-Carpenter's "Passionate Kisses."

(Do I need to tell you that the post title was taken from "Heart of Rock n Roll" by Huey Lewis and The News?)

No comments: