Monday, July 09, 2007

A Perfectly Good Scrabble Anecdote Ruined By Last-Minute Victory

Most of it is obsolete now, but here's what I was going to write:


If you've looked at the most recent (as of this writing) PG web album, you know that M recently won a game of Scrabble, during which she used the word "WINNER." The next game we played, I played the word "LOSER"... and lost. Perhaps in the next game, one of us will play "TIE" and the other one will play "DRAW," and we'll end up with the same final score.


This witty (I hope) anecdote was rendered unusable when, in the last round or two, I ended up taking the lead and winning the game in which I had played "LOSER." But I liked the story enough to want to share it anyway, even if most of it never happened.

I did end up playing "TIE" in the very next game, but M didn't play "DRAW," and we didn't end up with the same score when it was all said and done.

Fun fact: According to the Scrabble website, "YO" (a word we came up with after watching Rocky) is a legal word. That's come in handy several times in the five or six games we played over the weekend.

Yup. Five or six games in a single weekend. M beats me twice in a row, and suddenly she's a Scrabble nut. Though I have won most of the games since, it almost always ends up being close (my 60-point victory on Saturday night notwithstanding.) We're fairly evenly matched when it comes to thinking up good words. She even caught up to me last night when I took off to a 68-24 lead in the first round (COASTER = 18 points with a double word and double letter on T or E + 50-point bonus for using all seven letters!) Well, relatively caught up. The score difference was 88 points about midway, and she ended up about 25 behind me at the end. Not too shabby!

Mind you, we cheat. We've agreed to let each other use the dictionary before playing a word to make sure it's legal. I think we need to get out of that habit if we're gonna play with other people.

2 comments:

IrishSignora said...

I let Manie use a dictionary, too -- although I'm told that's frowned upon by serious Scrabble players. If M is REALLY into it, you might want to check out "Qwerty" on Pogo -- then you can play a game with each other while you're both at work, if you're so inclined. I can think of worse things do do during lunch. Cheers!

Trackrick said...

The tournament Scrabble players can get pretty serious.

Tried to find Qwerty on Pogo, but couldn't. Scrabble Blast was the closest thing I could find. Just as well. We play enough real Scrabble to get our fill!