PrettyGirl had her 2-month doctor appointment on her actual 2-month birthday Wednesday. Aside from not being able to push herself up as well as a 2-month-old ought to (attributable to our not putting her on her tummy often enough to practice,) she checked out A-OK!
She also got her first series of shots. They were the first salvo against Hepetitis B, Rubella, Diptheria, Rotavirus, and possibly something else that is slipping my mind, since one of the shots had multiple vaccinations contained within.
PG response to the shots was not what I was expecting. I was expecting instant objections to a needle going into her, but instead, she just gave a look that said, "well... that's odd." It wasn't until the needle was pulled out that she got all upset about it. The other two needles (the rotavirus vac was oral) were progressively objectionable, as she started to pick up on what was going on. She was pretty mad at us after the last one.
The shots were supposed to make her sleepy, and for a few hours she was indeed the very picture of angelic slumber. But when she finally woke up... boy howdy was she in a bad mood! Poor baby was screamin' like a banshee with a stubbed toe.
Happily, she calmed down in time for her cousin Todd's birthday party. She spent most of the time there looking around at all the unusual faces and not really thinking about the little holes in her leg.
The doctor also recommended that we start getting PG into a nighttime routine. Up until now, we've been just letting her fall asleep in our arms and then putting her into bed. We're told that it would be better to put her in bed while she's still awake and let her fall asleep on her own. And to do it at the same time each night following more or less the same routine (the wildcard being whether or not she gets a bath on a given night.) That way, she won't depend on anyone but herself to get her to sleep.
So we tried that last night, and it was pretty much a disaster. She cried more or less continually in her crib from 7:45 to 9:15 before we gave up the ghost and put her to sleep in the usual way. We think she's still hurting from the shots, so I guess we'll cut her a break for another night or two and then work our way back up.
********************
I was shopping for a birthday present for Todd, and of course, I went straight for the Transformers section at Toys R Us. A lot has changed since my day in the Transformers department. For one thing, they look more like the movie version, by and large. But the thing that got me was that they had diversified from just toy robots that can turn into cars or planes or insects or whatever. Now, there are voice-changing helmets, Optimus Prime vs. Megatron boxing games, and a "Cyber-Stoming" Optimus Prime that doesn't transform. I ask you, what is the point of having a Transformer that doesn't transform?
I ended up getting an Autobot that transforms into a Pontiac Somethingorother. It was a hit with both Todd and Jason, though it's tricky enough that they have to get my brother to do the transforming for them. Even I had some problems at first. And this was one of the easier ones to do. I guess some things haven't changed in the world of Transformers.
No comments:
Post a Comment