Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Happy Sleepy Baby

Y'know, I meant to mention in my last post who Edward Jenner is. He's the guy that developed the smallpox vaccine, which was, as near as I could tell from my 5 minutes of research, the first vaccine. And now you know the rest of the story.

********************
I promised, in the Comments section of a previous post, that I would report back on what I thought of the Safari for Windows beta. Truth be told, I haven't used it a whole lot yet, but I did see an article about how it allows for richer colors in photographs. Of course, this will probably also be the case with Firefox in a month or two, so this particular perk may keep Safari in the lead for only so long.

I've also gotten the feeling that Safari loads pages more slowly, but I haven't tried those same pages in Firefox or IE to see if it's the browser or the pages that are slow.

********************
So... the whole getting PG into a nighttime routine thing. Until a few nights ago, it was going pretty crummy. We only really had problems Friday and Saturday nights (and part of Sunday), but it seems like it was longer.

While we didn't leave her crying for an hour and a half, like we did Thursday night, we still gave her some time to fall asleep on her own, and she just wasn't going for it. Crib or bassinet, white noise or quiet, light or dark - it was all sob-worthy for baby. Both nights she ended up being held until she fell asleep.

Sunday night we even took her out for a walk, and it still wasn't making any difference. And then M decided to try swaddling her. The thought had occurred to me earlier that day or the day before, but I dismissed it, figuring that PG had reached an age where having her limbs immobilized by the tightly wrapped blanket would be objectionable to her.

Oh, how wrong I was.

Within minutes of being swaddled, PG was on a one-way, non-stop trip to Sleepyland. M was on the verge of tears, she was so happy. We figure that the problem PG was having was that her arms and legs, in their random flailing, were keeping her awake. Once they were strapped down, so to speak, she was free to drift off.

M has swaddled her every night since then, and PG has gone right to sleep. She did fuss a little bit on Monday, but that was because we got greedy and tried to put her down a little too early. By the time 8:00 rolled around, though, she was good to go.

So we have that going for us now.

In other news, PG has a favorite chair now. It is, to the best of my knowledge, the first thing she was ever gotten excited about. It's a bouncy chair, which is surprising because she always seems to hate being put into the bouncy chair in the basement. But the one up in the dining room... yee haw! Maybe it's the music it plays and the lights it flashes. Whenever she gets into it now, her face lights up and she yells and kicks. Happily. Not wanting her to get bored with it, we only put her in it during dinnertime. We get to have an uninterrupted dinner, and she gets to sit in her chair and listen to the music and smile off into the distance like the most amazingly awesome thing to ever happen to her is happening right then and there. Everybody wins!

I have a few videos of her in the bouncy seat. Once I get one edited down to a manageable size (or take another video that doesn't last so long,) I'll post it.

No comments: