Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Miscellaneous PrettyGirl Stuff

At a mere two and a half weeks old, my little girl has already been the subject of a post five times (counting this time). That's more often than the Elmo Tree and almost as much as Superman and Star Wars! They grow up so fast.

********************
PG had her two-week doctor appointment last Thursday. I forgot to mention before that the doctor has a Canadian accent. She told us, during the four-day-old visit, that breastfeeding is the best way to feed a baby "withoot a doot".

I'm not sure why she has such an accent, since she says she grew up in the DC area. This bit of info was revealed when she started to hand PG back to me, noticed my Ravens sweatshirt, and actually recoiled PG a little from me, as if contact with a Ravens logo would contaminate her infant brain or something ("something" probably being to get another look at the logo to make sure she saw what she thought she saw.) The doc is a huge Redskins fan, y'see. But nobody's perfect.

Well, PG is pretty close to perfect, especially from a health standpoint. The doctor assured us that she's doing very well, and we're taking very good care of her. She's already gained back her birth weight (a few ounces were lost in the first few days of breastfeeding, as is the case with breastfeeding babies) and gained an extra five ounces on top of that!

It was very good to hear that we're taking good care of her. I was a little worried, being as I have no experience and all.

*********************
I recently made the mistake of looking at the movie lineup for this year's Maryland Film Festival. Now, I love my daughter immensely and do not begrudge her presence and what it means to my tactical freedom at all. But I was still disappointed to see what I'll be missing this year. I've since gotten over it, though. I was just momentarily blindsided by an aspect of my changed life that had yet to occur to me.

*********************
M's aunt highly recommended that we get a swing for PG. Apparently, they work miracles in getting babies to calm down. It is, after all, one of the Five S's. So we looked at swings online and found them to be a bit pricey. Like $150 or so.

But, as luck would have it, this past Saturday was the semi-annual yard sale day in the neighborhood, wherein everybody who wants to sell off some stuff can put it in their front yard, and because an event is being made of it, you're likely see plenty of people roaming around the neighborhood looking for stuff to buy.

As fate would have it, one such neighbor had a baby swing that she was selling for $20, but she volunteered that she could sell for as low as $15. So we got a pretty good swing for a tenth of the going price! You can set it to swing back and forth or side to side, which is nice. So far, our results with PG have been mixed. She might not be ready to sit as upright at the swing makes her sit.

********************
Other than that, it's been pretty much the same. PG doesn't really do much yet, other than look around, eat, sleep and use her diapers. And look pretty of course.

1 comment:

Dodi said...

I love PG posts. Keep them coming!