Friday, March 31, 2006

It's Probably Just Me

Edit: I forgot to listen to iTunes while doing this, to supply the weekly list. I'll go listen now, and post the list in a bit.

I did something the other night that I haven't done a lot recently, but did a lot as a kid. Has anyone else out there found themselves thinking about something and wondering why you're thinking about it, so you trace your steps back?

Example: I was thinking about the French History professor I had in college, specifically how he broke his ankle and had to send in recorded lectures for about a week (there was some joking that he broke it playing basketball - he was an old guy who always wore 3-piece suits, which made that joke funny). Not sure why I was thinking about him, I tried to remember what I had been thinking about previously to lead me to that particular memory. It went thusly:

- I had a French History professor who broke his ankle
- I turned in a paper in that French History class late because I was sick
- I also turned in a German History paper late, losing half a grade on it (should have gotten an A-, but had to take a B+)
- We read All Quiet On The Western Front, a novel about World War I, in that German History class
- At the beginning of the movie The Big Red One, Lee Marvin is in World War I and shoots a German soldier, not realizing the war had just ended
- At the end of Sayid's flashback on a recent episode of Lost, the war in Kuwait ends, and the Americans let him go
- In that same episode, Sayid tortures someone
- The episode of Lost that aired the night I was doing this little memory exercise also touched upon Sayid and the guy he tortured
- I had just watched that episode.

So I was thinking about my French History professor because I had just watched Lost.

I used to do this sort of thing a lot when I was a kid. Has anyone else done this, or is it just me?

2 comments:

Dodi said...

I do it. More frequently done for conversations that go off in crazy directions. "How in the world did we get on this topic?" Then we backtrack through the conversation to figure out where we started.

My sister says I think too much. I don't tell her how often I think about thinking.

Trackrick said...

My wife's more of a talker than a thinker too. I think she thought I was a bit nuts when I told her the Lost-to-Professor story.