Wednesday, December 21, 2005

One Small Step for Comcast, One Giant Leap for Normalcy

Sorry for the delay. For some reason, the river of words hasn't been a-flowin'.

Anyway, my cable appointment finally arrived this past Sunday, and we are now hooked up everywhere we want to be hooked up. The landlady's fiance (probably husband by this point) showed me how one could snake a cable up the back of the house, through the opening where the roof meets the back wall, and then down through a hole in the bedroom closet (which would need to be drilled) before finally reaching the bedroom TV. I didn't look all that closely, so I took his word for it that, when the cable guy came, I could just direct him to the attic and it could all be done.

Sadly, my assumption was wrong. The cable guy and I went up to the attic and ascertained that the opening between roof and wall was indeed way too small to pull it off, and the slope of the roof made it impossible to get that close to the edge anyway. I was thus left with a dilemma - the landlady has been giving off the vibe that she'd rather not have any more holes drilled into the walls, but it seemed that the only way to get cable to the upstairs TV was to snake the cable through two holes in the guest room (one going outside, and one joining the two rooms), both of which would need to be drilled into existence. Consulting the landlady was impossible, because she's still in the islands. So M and I decided to just let the guy drill the holes, and take responsibility for it, should the landlady ever notice them.

That was pretty much the excitement with all that. Once the guy was done, and we were writing out the check for him, he noticed my Boy Scout Handbook, which I had pulled out so we could determine the proper way to fold our flag (our flagpole was re-assigned to hold a Snoopy Christmas flag). He commented on how old it looked, so I told him that I got it when I started my brief Scouting career in 1982. "Huh!" said he, "I was born in 1983!". A few more hairs on my head went gray.

1 comment:

Trackrick said...

FYI... The landlady never said anything.