Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Thus Begins Lap # 5,374,285,993 On The Solar Track

Well, guess who's been neglecting their poor blog. Me, that's who! It's not like I haven't been trying, but the idears just ain't been a-comin'. Well, they have been coming, but I haven't been motivated to turn them into words that make sense. I do have a year-end list of all the movies I've seen that I've been working on for about a week. Keep an eye out!

So here we are, six-tenths of the way through the decade. It seems like just yesterday I saw an article on Modern Humorist that displayed stamps commemorating the 90's and, "coming soon", the 00's. Since it was mid-2000 at the time, the 00 decade stamps pretty much just covered the Elian Gonzalez thing and a few minor things that had been going on in those few short months (also an apparent prediction that mosquitoes would grow to the size of houses). It strikes me, looking back at that, how much has actually happened in this decade so far. And I'm talkin' big stuff (some of it, like that incident with the Twin Towers and the Pentagon, pretty frickin' huge), and almost none of it good. Well, the Sox (both Red and White) winning the World Series was both big and good, but we all knew it could happen (maybe not the two of them winning their Series back to back, but otherwise, yes, we knew). The events we didn't see coming as we entered the decade have been pretty much all bad, as unexpected events usually are. I don't think anything unexpected and good has happened since the Berlin Wall came down, something that not many would have predicted in 1980 (certainly not the way in which it happened). The moon landing in '69 would also count as something good that most people didn't see coming at the beginning of the 60's. That's about all I can think of. Feel free to post a comment if you can think of anything big and unexpected that's happened throughout history.

Hope this isn't bringing anyone down. I'm just saying big events in history tend to be bad. It's the smaller picture stuff, like getting married and the Yankees not being able to buy a World Series championship, that keep us going.

Oh, and by the way, I was just guessing on what lap number we're on. I may be off by a billion or so.

1 comment:

Trackrick said...

I meant to say "feel free to post anything that was big, unexpected and good that's happened throughout history.