We just had our second Almost Big Snow this week. It snowed enough to make driving a kinda hairy experience, but not enough to justify staying home for a while. I was lucky that the actual storm had passed, and that the drivers on the interstate were mostly considerate and non-idiotic. I did see a red pickup sitting in the median lawn perfectly upside-down. Wheels directly up. I'm guessing it happened while the storm was still going on.
In other news, I have finished reading The Perfect Mile. It tells the true story of Roger Bannister, John Landy, and Wes Santee as they all try to become the first man to run the mile under four minutes. If you know your history, then you probably know who does it first, but it builds the suspense so much that you almost forget. Plus, I didn't know if either of the other two guys ever got under four minutes too. It ends with a major race between two of them (with the third doing commentary on the TV broadcast) that turned out to be very exciting.
I grew up very exposed to the world of track and field, so I found the book to be very captivating. I don't know how a layperson would like it, but I think it would draw such a person in too. It is, according to the cover, a bestseller, so there has to have been plenty of non-track people who went out and bought the book.
Anyway, I'm now set on getting my mile time back under at least seven minutes, and maybe even six. I haven't run a sub-six mile since the mid-90's, so it will probably take a lot of work to get that. I'm finding that, despite having the running bug again, my overall laziness is keeping me from actually doing anything related to running, however. Looks like it's gonna take a whole lot of work.
No comments:
Post a Comment