I made a solemn vow on November 10 to do 30 posts before the end of November and to do at least one post a day. I somehow managed to do that. And without resorting to stories about wanting spaghetti but not having any sauce, as I did back in 2007. I am now going to make another solemn vow, one that should be easier to achieve.
I am never, ever, going to try to post every single gorram day in a month. Not even a short month like February. Never again.
For one thing, most of, if not all of, my old stories that are interesting and lengthy enough to post got used up in this round o' blogathoning. That tank is pretty much empty now, so I really only have current events to work with for the foreseeable future. And, really, if I have to rebuild my cache of stories, why not just write about them as they happen, rather than save them up for a future NaBloPoMo?
For another thing, it's pretty hard to make some of this stuff interesting. It's one thing if I have all the time I need to get these topics written and edited into something readable, but when it's 10:30 PM, and I have to trudge through my fatigue to get something up before I go to bed, well, the quality tends to suffer. Sometimes it was easy; There are a few posts over the past month that I cranked out while waiting for something to be done cooking in the oven or while M was giving PG a bath. This post here is going pretty quickly. But there were a lot of nights where I knew what I wanted to talk about, but all I could do was stare at the screen trying to come up with the words. I have a post about the Kennedy Assassination that went through two or three separate drafts over the space of a week and a half and still never saw the light of day. I believe the night I ended up writing about cheese was one of those nights I tried and failed to finish the JFK thing.
This also wasn't much of a picnic for M. Having to write something before midnight got in the way of doing things like catching up on our DVRed TV shows or me going to bed the same time she did (so that I wouldn't wake her up going to bed an hour after she had already fallen asleep.) But she didn't give me much grief about it, so I thank her for that.
So yeah... no more blogathoning for me. I will, however, try to write here more often than I had been. I only had 15 posts in 2010, and only 3 pre-November posts this year, fer cryin' out loud!
1 comment:
PoMoOftMo works for me. Every day is a bit much, although your readers enjoyed it : )
Post a Comment