Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Fourth Times The... Nah, I'm Just Kidding With Ya

It took about three weeks, three oral antibiotics, three injections of another antibiotic (my word, how she hated those,) and something like five or six visits to the doctor before we could finally put the whole ear infection business behind us. And thank goodness it came to an end when it did, since the next step was to put tubes in PrettyGirl's ears.

The doctor is hopeful that, with winter coming to a close soon, PG will be spared further ear infections this season and will mature enough over the next few months that next winter will not bring with it more ear infection fun and the need for those tubes. Dare to dream.

There was some concern that PG would be so used to waking up in pain several times a night and being soothed back to sleep by Mommie and Daddy that she would continue to wake up a lot, even without the pain, and that we would have to get her used to falling back to sleep on her own again. I'd probably jinx things if I told you how long it took for her to get back to sleeping all the way through the night (assuming that waking up at 5:30 AM counts as "all the way through,") so I'll just keep that bit o' info to myself.

Now all we have to deal with is the new tooth coming in and all the sneezing PG was doing this morning.

At some point during the whole ear ordeal, when I wasn't really much in the mood to give PG updates, she started crawling like crazy. So the salad days of being able to put her down somewhere and be fairly confident that she would stay where she was has come to an end. Sigh.

As an extra added bonus, she's pulling herself up on stuff. Did I really neglect to mention this before? It seems like she's been doing that forever now. It's rare to find her not standing up in her crib after she wakes up in the morning or after a nap. It's just a matter of time before she walks, now. I might find that preferable to crawling. It'll be easier to see where she is if she's on her feet and her head is sticking up over the furniture.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Glad PG is doing better! Ear infections are really bad.
E has been having ear trouble since Christmas, and every week the newspaper here reports a horror story about ear care. First, certain drops cause instant hearing loss - I had just purchased those drops for E!! Next, Q-Tips cause deafness. He says if I hide the Q-Tips he'll use car keys. His new favorite trick is to say What? What? all the time to freak me out about the horror drops I bought.