Friday, January 19, 2007

An All-Baby 2K7 Post

(This is my 100th post if you don't count the "I just started this Blogger account so I could post a comment on someone else's blog" post from July 2005.)

Here's what's happening in the world of Baby 2K7
********************
I felt and saw the baby kick Tuesday night. There was no mistaking it this time. I had my head on M's tummy and, and I got kicked pretty hard. Then I looked up and saw her tummy jump. It was quite impressive. Most of the time, I feel a little tremble, if that. A certain little somebody apparently had something to say the other night!

********************
M has developed gestational diabetes. Luckily, it will go away when the baby is born, and while there's an increased risk of both of them getting Type 2 diabetes later in life, neither of them are in any particular danger. That's what the websites say. But it's noteworthy that the diabetes consultant that M was sent to had her starting the low-carb diet and 4-times-a-day blood testing immediately without delay.

M has a little blood glucose reader, and she has to prick her finger at set times around meals. Each meal has to include specific portions of protein, fat and carbs, and the numbers for breakfast have to be met at breakfast and the snack numbers have to be met at the specific snacktime, etc. - you can't defer a protein or a fat to another part of the day. Quite the pain. My poor Sweetie.

On top of all that, the diet is apparently not doing the job, since her glucose numbers are still high, so she just got prescribed medication that she has to take with her meals. At least she only has to deal with most of this for another 3 months.

I say "most of this" because M and I have decided this is a wake-up call for both of us to start getting healthier. So the diet will probably continue, albeit not as strictly, after the baby is born. I, of course, can start doing the less strict diet right away, and I have.

********************
We're taking a bunch of classes at the hospital, and we went to our first one last night - Infant and Child CPR. The name of the class also mentioned safety, but there were very few safety tips. It was pretty much all CPR and Heimlich for infants, children and adults, though the part about adults was covered only briefly. It was my first ever CPR class, but the teacher said my technique looked very good on the first try, so that was encouraging. I just need to remind myself of the procedures from time to time and hope that I don't panic when and if the need for the skills presents itself.

They had snacks at the class, which, of course, M couldn't have any of. I grabbed a couple of cookies on our way out, but I felt bad afterwards because M could tell that they were, in fact, awesome cookies, just from the smell wafting from the driver's side of the car to her passenger side.

No comments: