Well, PoMoOftMo went well until the final week. Oh well.
Thanksgiving weekend was a very busy one for me, and we can all thank Baby 2K7 for that. On Thanksgiving Day, M and I moved all the furniture out of the baby's room to prepare for a complete overhaul of the color scheme in there. This included my grandfather's roll top desk and a big bookshelf that needed to be relieved of its books in the baby's room and replenished, book-wise, after it had been moved into the guest room.
On Friday, we started painting. I had read up on whether or not pregnant women should be exposed to paint fumes. The findings were inconclusive, but I banished M to the basement while I did the painting by myself, just to be on the safe side. It's a small room, so it wasn't too big of a deal for me to work it solo. Eventually, however, M came upstairs, and I didn't shoo her away. I had the window in the baby room wide open, I had a fan going, I had opened the windows in our bedroom and turned on the ceiling fan in there, so there was plenty of ventilation. I figured the fumes didn't have much of a chance to get inhaled in any significant quantities. Besides, the walls needed touching up near the baseboards, and I can't sit on the floor comfortably for very long, so it was good to have her help in that area.
Between going to Home Depot for the paint and implements (and dealing with the Black Friday parking lot traffic from Home Depot's neighbor, Circuit City), painting the primer coat, painting the main coat, touching up the wall where it meets the baseboards and ceiling, and the breaks for lunch and dinner, the project took all day. What began the day as a mustard yellow room ended the day as a lavender room.
On Saturday I sat around most of the morning at the Toyota service department waiting for my car (yes, I could have just dropped it off and waited at home while it was serviced, but then I wouldn't have had all that "me time" to read Dark Tower VII!) Then my niece, the former Megacutiehead, came over that afternoon and painted pictures on the baby room walls. The moon she painted was very good, though she and I both agreed afterwards that the eye, nose and mouth should have been closer together.
While she was doing that, I had removed the masking tape from the ceiling and baseboards and found all kinds of spots that needed touching up, either because the lavender strayed too far onto the white or didn't go far enough over the old yellow. My will to paint had pretty much shriveled up by that point, but I sucked it up and got it done anyway.
Apparently, there is more artistic stuff to be done in there, so my niece is coming back this weekend to finish up. In the meantime, I've been keeping the door closed, so the paint fumes don't spread around the house. You can never be too careful!
********************
On Wednesday morning (the one prior to Thanksgiving), M and I went to a local bagel shop to get some breakfast. As we were parking the car, we saw a fellow and his young son walking towards the bagel shop too. There was a wall along the sidewalk, and, of course, the boy jumped up and walked along top of it. Seeing this, M commented that she was glad that we're not having a boy. Then the boy's sister jumped up on the wall too, and I had a hearty laugh.
********************
As you might have seen, if you scrolled down far enough, I've added a Dinosaur Comics feed to the links column. It automatically includes links to the five most recent installments of Dinosaur Comics. The link text serves as sort of a cartoonist's commentary, it would seem.
********************
I'm beginning to understand the frame of mind people have when they don't want to know the sex of their baby beforehand. I feel that way about revealing the planned name for the baby. I mean, I know what the baby's name is going to be (first, middle and, of course, last), but I don't think of that as being the name of the baby right now. I've never thought of prenatal babies as having actual names. Plus, I think there should be some suspense. So I don't feel comfortable giving it away.
M, on the other hand, has been spilling the name to anyone who asks (a surprisingly (to me) large number of people) and even some who haven't. It's OK that she's doing that - it's her kid too, after all, and it's not like she's giving away access codes to NORAD or anything - but it's disconcerting to me. I'm getting used to it, though, so maybe in a few weeks it won't be a big deal to me at all.
That said, those who know me and my family can probably guess what the name is going to be anyway. To them, I say: You're probably right, but maybe not as right as you think you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment