I was listening to the local JACK-FM station this morning when they played Aerosmith's opus, "Janey Got A Gun". I was a bit surprised to hear the line "She had to let him down easy and put a bullet in his brain" changed to "She had to let him down easy and leave him in the pouring rain".
First, kudos on a seamless edit to whoever did that edit. They pulled the "rain" line from earlier in the song and stuck it in there, and it fit in nicely. Still, I had to wonder if it was that offensive of a line.
A few nights ago, the same station played "Money For Nothing" and took out the entire verse regarding the fellow who enjoyed the company of other men and is a millionaire. I could see the changes in the PC climate in the past 20 years making that... not necessary, but understandable.
I guess it's nothing new. Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" has alternated between "Making love in the green grass behind the stad-i-yum with you" and "[obvious edit from earlier in the song] A-laughin' and a runnin' hey hey [/obvious edit from earlier in the song] behind the stad-i-yum with you" for years. It actually took me a while to find an unedited version of the song when I was putting together the wedding CD.
I'm not complaining about any of this, really. I just find it interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment