Friday, January 04, 2008

2007 Movies

I actually started this on time this year (February 21, the day after seeing my first 2007 movie) and managed to post about each movie shortly after seeing them. And then I forgot about the list by the time New Year's came along, so now it's getting posted four days late. Such is life.

Music and Lyrics - as romantic comedies go, this is one of the best I've seen. I think the music helped a lot.

300 - Truly a visual treat, so long as you don't mind the frequent slow motion and extremely embellished history.

The Hoax - The last movie M and I saw before PG came along (like, 3 days before). I was impressed with Richard Gere.

Spiderman 3 - Disappointing. They kinda dropped the ball with many things. Upon a second viewing, I determined that the first part of it is OK, but once Venom shows up, it's like they were trying to emulate Batman and Robin (but, thankfully, not attaining that particular level of suck.)

Transformers - So very cool, yet so often silly. Dragged a little at times, but I imagine a second (and third, etc) viewing will be better. That's often the case with me.

Post-Second-Viewing Review: Nope, not really better. I could have done without Optimus Prime saying "My bad" when stepping on a backyard fountain like a total spaz. C'mon guys... this is Optimus Freakin' Prime fer crying out loud!

And the clunky plot, with the overacting and unnecessary side stories, had a bit of a Godzilla (1998 flavor) reek to it.

But the transforming was cool, albeit without the famous sound effect.

Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix - The best of the series thus far. There's lot of stuff that only really makes sense if you've read the book, but I have read the book (three times,) so I was good to go. Definitely a Cliff Notes version, which was, of course, necessary. I was cool with the changes, and, in some cases, they improved the story. Like getting rid of almost all of Harry's whining and moaning that made the book one of my least favorites of the series.

In The Shadow Of The Moon - Loved it. I had heard that every living Apollo astronaut participated in this, so I was disappointed when only about six or seven of them showed up as talking heads, but otherwise, I thought it was great! Lots of never-before-seen footage made this NASA geek quite happy!

And that, my friends, was the last movie I saw in 2007, and that was in October. The combination of having a baby in the house and having a hang-up about seeing movies alone (never done it - too depressingly lonely!) prevented me from seeing anything except the movies I really, really wanted to see. Movies like Fantastic Four 2, Pirates of The Caribbean, Die Hard 4, The Simpsons Movie, Sweeney Todd, National Treasure 2, and such were relegated to Netflix. Such is life.

3 comments:

Dodi said...

I like seeing movies by myself. Although I haven't done it in years. I just don't go to the theater much. Netflix is so convenient and my big TV plus no annoying strangers plus no potty-break decisions to make equals one happy Dodi.

You should try it. Going alone is kind of liberating. I think I should start going alone again. So many of my couple friends only want to see movies with their spouse. I only get the leftovers.

Trackrick said...

Actually, now that I think about it, I have been to movies by myself, but that was at the Maryland Film Festival, and that's kinda different. Those were free movies (for me, anyway) that I saw to pass the time while M ran the box office there. Actually going to a movie theater and paying for a movie ticket is different somehow. But I may start doing that.

Anonymous said...

I think that I should be the one going to the movies along and leaving him with the baby!