PrettyGirl had her four-month doctor's appointment on Monday. It coincided with daycare being closed (so Nikki could go to her daughter's school orientation,) so I was off work anyway and got to continue my perfect attendance at PG's doctor visits.
PG was quite the little social flower, checking out everyone that struck up a conversation with her. Her doctor frequently reminded her that she (PG) is so cute.
The good news: PG is progressing perfectly normally. She's right down the middle at the 50th percentile in weight and height (14 lbs, 24 inches.) She's only in the 25th percentile in head circumference (I don't know the figure for that, but I may have it by the time I post this,) but the doctor isn't worried about it, so I'm not.
The bad news: A little scabby thing on PG's head, about which neither M nor I had been worried and had written off as Cradle Cap, turned out to be ringworm. The popular theory is that she picked it up at daycare.
I learned something about ringworm, now that I've had occasion to learn things about it: it's not actually a worm, but a fungus. Sadly, this development renders the above post title somewhat inaccurate, being as fungus isn't exactly a creature, whereas an actual worm would have been, but I can't come up with anything better, so there you go.
PG is on ringworm medication now, so we expect everything to clear up in the next few weeks. She has been completely aloof about her condition throughout.
********************
We went to the Walters Art Gallery last Saturday to see the Gee's Bend quilt exhibit. Quilts aren't really my thing, so I wasn't really all that interested in the exhibit until we passed a black, red and white quilt, and M commented that PG would like those colors, being a baby and all. Since PG was, in fact, with us at the time, we turned her stroller around so she could see the quilt (by this point, we had moved on to a red, black and blue quilt,) and she flew into a state of rapture at the sight. She was all grinning and kicking and having quite a fine time staring at the colors.
The rest of the museum, including the original copy of the famous painting of George Washington and artifacts dating back as much as 5,000 years, didn't grab her attention as much. Oh well. Historical appreciation will come in time. I hope so, anyway.
********************
I finally went and bought running shoes. I went to Charm City Run, which was somewhat out of my way, but well worth the trip. Since the store specializes in just running shoes and apparel, the salespeople only need to know the ins and outs of shoes as they pertain to running, rather than the 360-degree movement of other sports.
The first thing my salesman had me do was walk the length of the store while he kneeled on the ground and studied my feet as I walked. From that, he determined that my arches, while not high, per se, didn't collapse under my weight as much as would be normal. So he knew that I would need something supportive. The first shoe did not do that, and he could tell just from looking, without me having to tell him how it felt. We worked from there, and I ended up with a pair of shoes that I think will work well for me as I try to get back in shape.
Though I didn't get to use it, they also had a treadmill with a camera attached to it, so they could monitor how your feet land when you run, complete with slow-motion playback. I kinda wish they had done that with me, but I guess once you establish that you have barely collapsible arches, how your feet land when you run can be pretty much figured out.
It should be noted that I bought the shoes three days ago, and I have yet to go for a run. It should also be noted that I haven't had a free night since I bought them.
********************
My other momentous purchase - on the same day, no less - was a new computer. After a week of consideration, I went with the best processor that Dell offered for that particular machine (an Intel Quad Core) and Windows Vista Home Premium, rather than a Duo Core and Windows XP. The Quad is a bit much, since there isn't a whole lot of software that makes use of it, but it cost only $50 more, and I suspect I'll be glad I got it, as more software comes out that takes advantage of the extra two processors.
Vista is a calculated risk. It's probably gonna give me problems for a while (maybe,) and I may have to do all my Photoshoppin' at work or on my old computer (soon to be M's computer.) It's not likely that my Adobe stuff will completely fail to work on Vista, but the possiblity is there, from what I've heard. The thing is that XP, while much more stable at this point, is already pretty old and is going to be obsolete fairly soon. Besides, waiting until Vista has gotten more stable before upgrading will set me back another $150 for the upgrade, whereas it costs me no extra to get Vista now. Saving $150 is worth having some compatibility and stability issues for a while. I hope.
The new computer is scheduled to arrive either Friday or Tuesday. Then the fun begins! I'm hoping to mean that literally, rather than sarcastically. I'm hoping hard on that.
No comments:
Post a Comment