**********
My wife had a biopsy done on a growth in her mouth last week. The oral surgeon thinks it will turn out to be benign, but it's certainly safer to test it to be sure. In the meantime, my Sweetpea now has a couple stitches in her mouth from the biopsy, and it's driving her nuts. My poor Sweetie.
We should find out in the next few days what the results are. And she's scheduled to go back the week after next and have whatever it is removed from her mouth.
I'm hoping for the best and expecting it too.
**********
There's a certain Senator in the state north of mine - I won't name names, to avoid coming up in a search - who I utterly despise. I suppose I don't have a lot to go on with this. Just some C-SPAN footage wherein he was showing charts illustrating how The Netherlands has gone to hell in a handbasket economically because they allow gay marriage. Oh yeah, and a syndicated columnist who answers sex questions has named a residue from a somewhat verboten sex act after this Senator, which certainly doesn't lend one to have much respect for the Senator. Or for the columnist, depending on where on the political spectrum you are.
Anyway, I got thrown for a bit of a loop earlier this week when I discovered that he's a co-sponsor of the Combating Autism Act in the Senate. How can someone so despicable be involved in something so good? Oh well, I guess even Hitler had good points. He got the trains running in time, and Volkswagon hit it big because of him.
**********
I'm just about 100% decided on the Hopkins thing. I've decided to do it, but I still have to decide if I'm doing the entire Visual Communications coursework, or just the Graphics, Web and Video portions. I'm still undecided about the 3D Design (they call it Gaming Design).
I've put a lot of research into this. I've talked to the Job Placement person. I've talked to an alumnus and had a nice 45 minute conversation with him about his experiences. I've combed the internet for info but mostly gotten just listings in graphics school directories. I intend to discuss my experiences here, so that future prospective students have at least this as a resource for their own decision. If they can find it, of course.
**********
Now then, let's get musical!
1. "The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny" - Lemon Demon
2. "Someday, Someway" - Marshall Crenshaw
3. "Take The Skinheads Bowling" - Camper Van Beethoven
4. "Do You Love Me Now?" - The Breeders
5. "Joining You" - Alanis Morrisette
6. "Too Late For Love" - Def Leppard
7. "For America" - Jackson Browne
8. "Better Be Home Soon" - Crowded House
9. "All I Want" - Toad The Wet Sprocket
10. "Throne Room March" - John Williams
11. "Mambo #8" - Perez Prado
12. "I'll Take Care of You" - The Dixie Chicks
13. "Head Over Heels" - Tears for Fears
14. "I Wanna Rock" - Twisted Sister
15. "Cecilia" - Simon and Garfunkel
16. "Hold Me" - Fleetwood Mac
17. "Stone Cold" - Rainbow
18. "Never Here" - Elastica
19. "Hunting High And Low" - a-ha
20. "Saved By Zero" - The Fixx
21. "A Matter of Trust" - Billy Joel
*** "The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny" is an epic tale of every conceivable superhero, supervillain, and various other famous people getting together and having a fight. In the first verse alone, you have Godzilla, Batman, Shaquille O'Neal, Aaron Carter, Abraham Lincoln, and Optimus Prime going at it.
Before it's over, into the fray has jumped Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"'s Black Knight and Benito Mussolini and The Blue Meanie and Cowboy Curtis and Jambi the Genie, Robocop, the Terminator, Captain Kirk, and Darth Vader, Lo Pan, Superman, every single Power Ranger, Bill S. Preston and Theodore Logan, Spock, The Rock, Doc Ock, and Hulk Hogan. Plus many others.
You'd never guess in a million years who wins.
Anyway, if you're interested, there's an animated video of the song here. It's kinda violent, so I'm guessing not many of you will watch it. But it's there if you want to.
*** "For America" is a song that came out 20 years ago, but is very relevant these days (though, thankfully, perhaps decreasingly so over the last year or so).
Some sample lyrics:
As if freedom was a question of might
As if loyalty was black and white
You hear people say it all the time-
My country wrong or right
I want to know what that's got to do
With what it takes to find out what's true
With everyone from the President on down
Trying to keep it from you
The thing I wonder about the Dads and Moms
Who send their sons to the Vietnams
Will they really think their way of life
Has been protected as the next war comes?
About 5 years ago (not quite 5 yet) a local radio station was taking requests and playing a lot of songs with America in the title (James Brown's "Living In America", that gawdawful "I'm Proud To Be An American" song, and such), and I thought about requesting the Jackson Browne song, but decided that it wasn't the time to do so. And at the time it wasn't. It's a patriotic enough song (I have prayed for America * I was made for America * Her shining dream plays in my mind), but it doesn't exactly raise a lot of confidence in the way things currently are (or were in 1985, for that matter).
*** The Star Wars song still gives me chills.
*** "Mambo #8" is not to be confused with "Mambo #5", which, in turn, is not to be confused with the "little bit of Erica" remake of "Mambo #5" that was done a few years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment